Shackleford Diary - Trails
In This Episode:
The Shackelfords traveled to California mostly following the regular trail, until they reached Utah. In this episode, Jen discusses the various trails to California and who should get credit for those trails. Then she describes (perhaps in agonizing detail, sorry) her process for adding Indigenous territories to the locations mentioned by Ruth Shackelford in her diary. It's a work-in-progress that needs a lot of work...
Disclosure: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase from a Bookshop link.
- Covered Wagon Women series, University of Oklahoma Press
- Covered Wagon Women, Volume 9. Kindle Edition
- NPS National Historic Trails Viewer
- National Park Service Data Portal
- Oregon Trail, Wikipedia article
- Mormon Road or Southern Route, Wikipedia article
- Old Spanish Trail, Wikipedia article
- An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States, by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz (Bookshop link)
- Rediscovering the Americas by David Wade Chambers
- Studio 1:1, Dr. Margaret Pearce
- This Is How We Name Our Lands, Dr. Margaret Pearce
- Coming Home to Indigenous Place Names in Canada, Dr. Margaret Pearce
- Native American Spaces: Cartographic Resources at the Library of Congress
- Native-Land.ca map
- Native Land Api Docs
- QGIS Join attributes by location, Q-tips
I acknowledge that the land on which I live and work is the territory of the Podunk and Wangunk Peoples, who have stewarded the land and waterways through generations. I also acknowledge the history of genocide and forced removal from this territory and pledge to use my resources and skills to promote knowledge of Indigenous peoples and to work towards justice.