Shackleford Diary - Butterfield Overland Mail Route
In This Episode:
In April 1868, the Shackelfords were traveling beside the Gila River (which Ruth called "the Heeley") along the Butterfield Overland Mail Route. In this episode, Jen discusses in-law etiquette, the Butterfield Overland Mail Route, and the roadmap for Shackelford maps.
Disclosure: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase from a Bookshop link.
- Covered Wagon Women, Volume 9 (Bison Books link)
- Piipaash (Maricopa)
- Etiquette for Ladies, 1840 (Google Books link)
- The Ladies' Science of Etiquette, 1851 (Google Books link)
- Stagecoach History: Stage Lines in California (CA Dept of Parks and Recreation)
- Butterfield Overland Mail Route
- The Overland Mail and Passenger Service, 1911 (Google Books link)
- Official Map of the Territory of Arizona, 1865 (David Rumsey Map Collection)
- New Map of the Territory of Arizona, Southern California and Parts of Nevada, Utah and Sonora, 1877 (David Rumsey Map Collection)
- geonames.org data sources
- USGS Geographic Names Information System
- Historical military mapping of the Czech lands cartographic analysis