Shackleford Diary - Apache Pass
In This Episode:
On May 17, 1868, the Shackelfords traveled through Apache Pass, the site of much fighting between the U.S. Army and the Chiricahua Apache, due to its strategic position. In this episode, Jen provides context about Apache Pass and the Apache Wars, which began with events at the pass.
Disclosure: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase from a Bookshop link.
- Covered Wagon Women, Volume 9 (Bison Books link)
- Tohono O'odham
- Chiricahua Apache Nation
- The Civil War from Apache Pass (2016) Megan Kate Nelson (JSTOR link)
- The Three-Cornered War by Megan Kate Nelson (Bookshop link)
- Chircahua National Monument (National Park Service)
- The Earth Is Weeping by Peter Cozzens (Bookshop link)
- Fort Bowie National Monument, Post Cemetary (National Park Service)
- Extreme History: Apache Pass, Arizona (blog post)
- Waymarking - Apache Pass (Ruth Shackelford quote on sign)