Shackleford Diary - William Franklin Shackelford
In This Episode:
Ruth's husband, William Franklin Shackelford, who she called Frank, was born in Culpeper Co. Virginia, but came to maturity in Missouri. In trying to understand the Shackelfords' 1865 and 1868 travels, we look at Frank and his family.
Trigger warning Slavery and rape are discussed, but not in detail, in this episode.
Disclosure: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase from a Bookshop link.
- Covered Wagon Women, Volume 9 (Bison Books link)
- Stamped From the Beginning by Ibram X. Kendi (Bookshop link)
- Caleb Shackelford vs. Benjamin Matthews, 1855 (Virginia Memory Project, Library of Virginia)
- U.S. Census records on FamilySearch.org (searchable by name and location)
- State v. Colman Reed, case in which Morgan Shackelford and Atwell Gatewood were witnesses (Missouri Digital Heritage)
- Callaway Co., MO probate record for Morgan Shackelford (Kingdom of Callaway Historical Society)
- Rufus Shackelford Civil War military record (Missouri Digital Heritage)
- U.S. Civil War Draft Registration Records on Ancestry.com
- W.F. Shackelford obituary (Find a Grave)
- History of Monroe and Shelby Counties, Missouri, 1884 (Missouri Digital Heritage)