Shackleford Diary - 1865 Route
In This Episode:
The Shackelfords' 1865 route deviated from the canonical Oregon/California trail routes. Those deviations and the data used for Version1.0 of the 1865 route are discussed in this episode.
The next episode ends this season of The Helonaki Deep Dive with a discussion of the 1868 route!
Disclosure: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase from a Bookshop link.
- The Helonaki Deep Dive Patreon Page. For as little as $2 per month, you can support the podcast."
- Covered Wagon Women, Volume 9 (Bison Books link)
- Days on the Road by Sarah Raymond Herndon (Google Books link)
- Historic trail map of the Denver 1 x 2 quadrangle, Central Colorado, 1999
- The Bozeman Trail, Grace Hebard 1922 (Hathi Trust link)
- Map of the Oregon Trail and Overland Stage Routes, Grace Hebard 1922
- Historic sites and markers along the Mormon and other great western trails, Kimball 1988 (Bookshop link)
- The Trail West: a bibliography-index to western American trails, 1841-1869, Townley 1988 (WorldCat link)
- Digging In: The Historic Trails of Nebraska
- BLM GLO land patents, search for Jacob Kirkland in Missouri
- Wheeler 1876, Utah (David Rumsey link)
- Official Map of the Territory of Arizona, Gird 1865 (David Rumsey link)
- The Earth is Weeping, Cozzens (Bookshop link)
- Oh What a Slaughter, McMurtry (Bookshop link)